Thursday 18 August 2011

The search for an under eye solution

If you are anything like me, or the typical person, I would bet that as time goes on, you've noticed your appearance changing. For me, the place where I notice this the most, is under and around my eyes. While there is lots you can (and should) do, to improve your overall appearance through dress and basic grooming, the question is "Is there anything further I can do to fix and prevent further damage?"

Common things that many people see are, skin discoloration, fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness around the eyes, areas that require smoothing, dark circles, bags.... al of which can lead to that tired-looking appearance.

Some common things to consider are;
  1. The need for a moisturizer (may depend on your climate)
  2. The need for sun protection (so important). A good SPF is essential.
  3. Allergies to environmental influences (pets, ragweed, pollen)
  4. Allergies to certain products
  5. Desire not to have harsh chemicals of animal based products on your skin
  6. Ways to make your body boost its own protection (collagen production)
  7. Cost of products (make sure not to confuse the plain old purchase price and the actual cost of using the product. Sometimes a product which costs more to purchase, might actually be cheaper to use!!!
  8. Pigmentation of the skin
  9. How to remove or reduce those dark circles or bags.
  10. How to make your skin look younger
  11. ... and many other factors
I was lucky in my search, and found three products that when used together worked for me.
  1. My primary under eye and facial cream
  2. A product used when I am going to be in extreme sun
  3. A cream to help when my eyes are irritated due to occasional allergies
Details of my exploration to find the right solution can be read in detail here.

The approach that I used was to examine all the characteristics that I needed in a solution, the attributes, the advantages of one versus the other, and finally the specific decision points to help make those final selections.

I found that by doing adequate research, I was able to quickly zero-in on what worked for me. In looking at my problem areas, I needed to address the appearance of lines as well as prevent the occurrence of further damage. Moisturization and dark-circle treatment were also important. I had also noticed some sun damage leading to discoloration and perhaps some age spots.

It is important if you feel that you have more than cosmetic issues, to consult with your MD or a dermatologist. Never let the signs of skin cancer go untreated.

I read about a few ingredients that seem essential for not just masking, but actually treating some of my symptoms. These were Ascorbyl Palmitate, CQ10 and Lipoic acid (Dithiolane-3 Pentoic Acid). Together these seemed to help skin regenerate, produce collagen and plump-up, without all the effects of harsh chemicals.

Do your research and I'm sure that you will also find a set of products that meet your needs.

  Good Luck,

   J.

No comments:

Post a Comment